Your Amazon Echo speaker has the power to hook up to Bluetooth devices to make for a better music experience – but few people realise you can also connect Alexa to Bluetooth speakers, as well as hooking up your phone as a music source.
It makes your Amazon Echo speaker especially powerful, firstly enabling you to use music services like Apple Music – albeit without voice control – and also boost the audio prowess of basic, budget devices like the Amazon Echo Dot. Here’s how to get started:
How to connect your phone to make Alexa a Bluetooth speaker
- Start with your smartphone or tablet. Ensure it’s in Bluetooth pairing mode and in range.
- Say “Alexa, pair”
- If this is the first time you’re pairing, look for your Echo in the new devices list.
- To disconnect your mobile device from Amazon Echo, say, "Alexa, disconnect".
- In the future, just say “Alexa, pair [device name]” to reinstate the connection.
How to pair your Echo with a Bluetooth speaker for better sound
The sound quality from some Alexa speakers leaves a lot to be desired, but the good news is that if you’ve got a beefy Bluetooth speaker to hand, you can combine the two. That means you get the full voice control experience from Alexa, but block-rocking beats from your existing set-up.
It means a life without wires – as you can always use the 3.5mm jack to connect your Echo to external systems – and makes for a much neater set-up. Also, if you have an older analogue system, you can buy Bluetooth adapters which can also bridge the gap.
To pair a Bluetooth-enabled speaker with the Amazon Echo:
- Power on your external Bluetooth speaker and start pairing.
- Head to the Alexa app (you can also use the alexa.amazon.com web app)
- Go to Settings in the left menu.
- Choose Devices, and select the Alexa device you want to pair
- Tap Bluetooth
- Choose Pair a New Device.
- You should now see your external device listed. Tap to pair.
More Amazon Alexa how-tos
- How to set up and use Alexa Routines for a smarter home
- How to view security camera footage on your Amazon Echo devices
- How to set up and use Alexa Drop In and Calling on your Amazon Echo
- Alexa and Spotify guide: How to connect and use with your Amazon Echo
- Alexa Brief Mode explained: How to turn it on and how it works
- How to control Sonos with Alexa
- How to play podcasts with Alexa on your Amazon Echo
- How to control Amazon Fire TV using your Echo speaker
- How to use Alexa to control your lights and devices
- How to use your Amazon Echo with Alexa as the perfect alarm clock