The Amazon Echo is the body and Alexa is the brains, but you're going to need to connect to a Wi-Fi network in order to receive the full capabilities of both.
Whether you've changed your home internet recently, or you're trying to get connected at a friend's house or hotel, changing the Wi-Fi network assigned to your Alexa speaker is both quick and easy.
Essential reading: Funny things to ask Alexa
Below, we've assembled a step-by-step guide so you can see exactly how to connect Alexa to Wi-Fi - read on for everything you need to know.
How to connect Alexa to Wi-Fi
First, you're going to need to make sure your Alexa speaker is plugged in and the Alexa app on your iOS or Android device is open. If so, you're all set to connect Alexa to your Wi-Fi network.
1. On the bottom bar tap More and tap Settings.
2. Tap Device Settings.
3. Select your device and tap Change next to the Wi-Fi network.
4. Your Echo device will now go through setup.
5. Select the Wi-Fi network in the Alexa app.
6. Log in to your Wi-Fi.
7. Tap Connect.
Congratulations, you've connected your Echo device to the Wi-Fi. One thing to note, however, is that you can always tap Add a Network to do it manually, if you can't find your network. You can also tap Rescan to search for Wi-Fi networks again.
If you need to add your Echo device to a list of approved devices, you can also put in your MAC address. There are also two optional settings. One is to save your Wi-Fi password to Amazon. This way, when you set up new Echo devices in the future, it'll already know your Wi-Fi information.
You can also connect your Echo to a public Wi-Fi network. So, if you're going to a hotel or want to install one in the classroom, you can enter any information that might be asked for in a browser-based pop-up. This is an option that'll pop up as you're going through the Wi-Fi setup. This information, however, cannot be saved.
More Amazon Alexa guides
- How to control Sonos with Alexa
- Play podcasts with Alexa
- How to use Alexa to control your lights and devices
- Use your Amazon Echo with Alexa as an alarm clock
- How to set up and use Alexa Routines for a smarter home
- View camera footage on your Amazon Echo
- Set up and use Alexa Drop In and Calling
- Alexa and Spotify guide
- Alexa Brief Mode explained