If things go wrong, you may need to reset your Amazon Echo speaker to get things back on track.
Giving Alexa a factory reset shouldn't happen too often, but if the smart assistant has backed itself into a corner, or you simply want to give your device to someone to start from scratch, it's good to know how to hard reset your Echo.
Below, we'll be going through each type of Echo device β including the Echo Dot and screened Echo models β and giving you the lowdown on how to reset Alexa.
It's all very straightforward stuff, luckily, and it could be just the ticket you need to get your Echo back on track.
- Best Alexa compatible smart home devices
- Learn more: Amazon Echo commands you need to know
- Do more: Best Alexa skills
Types of Amazon Echo / Alexa reset
First, be sure you know what type of reset you want to do. If it just appears to be unresponsive, your first call should always be to turn the power off. Simply pull the power adapter out of the back, give it a few seconds, and then plug it back in.
Sometimes the color light your Echo speaker is shining can be a clue as to what might have gone wrong.
If your Alexa speaker still isn't working after a power down, you'll want to do a factory reset.
You'll also want to factory reset your Echo speaker if you're selling it, or giving it to someone else.
Factory reset using the Alexa app
You can reset your Echo device using the Alexa app on your iOS or Android smartphone.
1) Go to Devices.
2) Tap the Echo & Alexa icon at the top.
3) Choose the speaker you want to factory reset.
4) Scroll down to Factory Reset and tap it.
5) Confirm you want to reset.
Amazing Amazon Prime Day Roborock Deals
Factory reset buttons on the Echo speaker
How to reset Amazon Echo Dot (2nd-gen, 3rd-gen, 4th-gen)
Resetting an Amazon Echo varies depending on the type of device it is β and that's even true for the different generations of the same model.
- To reset the Amazon Echo Dot second generation, press and hold the Microphone Off and Volume down buttons at the same time. Wait until the light ring turns orange, which should take about 20 seconds.
- To reset the Amazon Echo Dot third generation, fourth generation or Echo Dot with Clock (both generations), press and hold the Action button for 25 seconds β that's the button on the right of the top panel.
How to reset Amazon Echo (1st-gen, 2nd-gen, 3rd-gen, 4th-gen)
As with the Echo Dot, resetting your standard Echo devices varies depending on whether you have the original or second generation sitting in your home.
- To reset your first generation Echo device, use a paper clip (or something similar) to press and hold the Reset button. Wait for the light ring to turn off and on again.
- To reset your second generation device, press and hold the Microphone Off and Volume down buttons at the same time. Wait until the light ring turns orange, which should take around 20 seconds.
- To reset a 4th-gen Echo, or 3rd-gen Echo, hold down the action button for 25 seconds. The light ring will pulse orange, then turn off. It will then come back on, go blue, and then orange again. It's now ready for setup..
How to reset Amazon Echo Plus (1st-gen, 2nd-gen)
If you're working from a different generation of Echo device, the rebooting process is going to be different. That's the case for the two kinds of Echo Plus models. Also, know that you won't lose your smart home device connections, if you do decide to reset.
- To reset your first generation Echo Plus, use a paper clip (or something similar) to press the Reset button once and quickly release. Wait for the light ring to turn off and on again.
- To reset your second generation Echo Plus, press and hold the Action button for 20 seconds. Wait for the light ring to turn off and on again.
How to reset Amazon Echo Show, Amazon Echo Show 5, Echo Show 8, Echo Show 10 or Echo Spot
If you have an Echo speaker with a screen, whether you have an Echo Spot, one of the two generations of the Echo Show, the Echo Show 5 or 8, things change slightly. If you have a second generation Echo Show, you can, of course, use the built-in Zigbee chip to connect to your external smart home devices β and how you reset affects those connections.
- To reset your second generation Echo Show without losing your smart home device connections, say, "Alexa, go to settings," or swipe down from the top of the screen and select Settings. From there, select Device Options, and then Reset to Factory Defaults, but retain Smart Home Device Connections. Follow the same steps for the Echo Show 5, Show 8 or Show 10.
- To reset your first generation Echo Show or Echo Spot to its factory settings, say, "Alexa, go to settings," or swipe down from the top of the screen and select Settings. Then, select Device Options, and then Reset to Factory Defaults. This erases all your personal information and settings on the device.
- You can also use the following method to reset your Echo Show: Press and hold the mute and volume down buttons for 15 seconds until Amazon logo flash on the display.
How to reset Amazon Echo Sub
One of the latest additions to the Amazon Echo family is the Echo Sub - and, yes, this is very much an optional add-on to your Echo setup. Given this requires some extra setup to get right, and it'll need to sync with your Echo, Echo Plus or Echo, there's a chance you'll need to reset the Sub every now and again.
- To reset the Echo Sub, press and hold Action button located just above the power cord for 25 seconds