By default, HomePod will install new software updates automatically, but you can also manually check for these in the Home app on your iPhone, iPad or Mac.
Below, we'll show you how to update HomePod - no matter which device you're working from - as well as explain the steps for turning the automatic installation of these updates on and off.
Read this: Apple HomePod tips and tricks
Check for and install updates to Apple HomePod
As we say, HomePod updates should be installed automatically - but you can force them yourself through your iOS or Mac device. When updating, just note that a white light will spin around the top of the HomePod. As some updates will take time, Apple advises to not unplug the speaker until it's complete.
On iPhone or iPad
1. First, ensure that the device you'll be forcing the update from is running the latest version of iOS.
2. On the iOS device, bring up the Home app and tap the icon in the upper-left corner.
3. From there, tap Software Update.
4. If there's something new for you to update, hit Install. This will then install the update on any HomePod speaker - or speakers - you have set up.
On your Mac
1. First, ensure that the Mac you're forcing the update from is updated to the latest macOS software.
2. Open the Home app and, from the menu bar, hit Edit > Edit Home.
3. Tap Software Update.
4. If a new update is available, tap Install. This will update the software on all of the HomePod speakers you have in your home.
Turn on/off automatic updates for Apple HomePod
You may want to check over update details before they're automatically installed onto your HomePod - or you might not want to bother installing them manually. Either way, here's how to toggle them on or off for your smart speaker.
- On the Home app for iPhone or iPad, tap the icon in the top-left and then Software Update. From there, you should be able to toggle on/off automatic updates.
- On the Mac, click Edit > Edit Home > Software Update - from there, you should see the option to toggle on/off automatic updates
More Apple HomePod guides
- How to set up Apple HomePod stereo and multi-room
- How to use HomePod as an Apple TV speaker
- How to set up Personal Requests for Apple HomePod
- How to make and receive calls on HomePod
- How to control music on Apple HomePod
- How to use Spotify on Apple HomePod
- How to add HomePod to your Sonos setup
- How to reset Apple HomePod