It's a simple thing to set up and it means that you can create a security monitor without ever firing up your smartphone or tablet.
All you need is one of the three Amazon devices noted in the intro and a compatible smart security camera.
Obviously, with Google owning Nest, you can also Chromecast your Nest security camera footage too - but that's a different story.
Security cameras that work with Alexa
The Alexa compatible security cameras that will display their feeds on an Echo Show, Spot or Fire TV are from the following brands: Nest, Netgear Arlo, Ring, Logitech Circle, Ezviz, Amcrest and, of course, the Amazon Cloud Cam works too.
Beware of skills for other security camera brands you see listed in the Alexa app ‚Äď unless they are from the ones we've listed above the voice controls will be limited to turning them on and off, checking the status and so on.
Top bargains for Alexa-compatible gear
The Ambient may get a commission
Connect your security in the Alexa app
- Go to the menu and tap Skills.
- Find the relevant skill (some cameras have specific apps for the cameras, outside of their main smart home apps).
- Enable the skill and link the account with Alexa.
- Add the camera as a device, using the 'Add Device' button in the smart home section or by asking, "Alexa, discover my devices."
Show your security camera using Alexa
- The command to see the stream is, "Alexa, show [camera name]". The camera name is the one you have listed in the Alexa app. By default it will use the name from the camera's parent app but you can change it. To view the name for your camera in the Alexa app, go to the menu and select Smart Home > Devices.
- If you have linked an Echo speaker to a Fire TV device, you can say the command to that in order to see the feed on your TV (or speak through the remote control).
- To stop watching, simply say: "Alexa, hide [camera name],""Alexa, stop," "Alexa, go home," "Alexa, show the homescreen," or "Alexa, show the clock," (on a Show or Spot).
- You can also press the back button on a Fire TV remote or the Echo screen to exit.
- The feed stays on for a time determined by the camera maker ‚Äď it's 30 minutes on Nest, for example. You have to ask Alexa to show it again once the time is up.