We may live in the age of Alexa, but barking the same wake word and hearing the same voice answer our requests can quickly make us feel like we're the robots.
Thankfully, unlike its rivals, Amazon allows users to change the wake word and add a pinch of variation to the Echo experience. If you'd prefer a different accent reading out your weather report or reminders, there are steps for this, too.
Read this: Funny things to ask Alexa
Follow the steps below and learn how to change it all on your Amazon Echo speaker.
Changing Alexaâs name
Sick of saying Alexaâs name? Want a different wake word to trigger the voice assistant? Well, customisation options are very limited, but you can change the wake word from âAlexaâ to âEchoâ, âAmazonâ or âComputerâ.
1. In the app menu, select Devices.
2. Choose the device for which you want to change the wake word.
3. Tap on Wake Word.
4. Choose the one you want, then hit OK.
5. Once the orange light stops flashing, the name you use to wake Alexa should be changed.
Change Alexaâs voice or accent
Itâs still baffling that Alexa canât even have a male voice, but there are other ways to switch it up if youâre sick of the same tones and intonations. If youâve ever fancied giving your Echo a British accent or an Aussie twang, you can do so. You can also have Alexa speak English in an Indian accent.
Listen here: What all of Alexa's accents sound like
However, be warned, Alexa's brain is also localised to where you set it, meaning a change in accent may pull up different answers, so it may alter the experience a little.
1. In the app menu, select Alexa Devices.
2. Choose the device you want to change the voice of.
3. Scroll down and tap on Languages.
4. Hit the drop-down box and choose the language you want.
5. Hit Save changes.
More Amazon Alexa guides
- How to control Sonos with Alexa
- Play podcasts with Alexa
- How to use Alexa to control your lights and devices
- Use your Amazon Echo with Alexa as an alarm clock
- How to set up and use Alexa Routines for a smarter home
- View camera footage on your Amazon Echo
- Set up and use Alexa Drop In and Calling
- Alexa and Spotify guide
- Alexa Brief Mode explained